- Geomicrobiology: Physiology, biochemistry, and molecular biology of bacteria that catalyze metal transformations.
- Molecular mechanisms of microbial metal binding, electron transfer (redox reactions), and mineral formation.
- The biogeochemical cycling of metals in the environment. Marine biotechnology. Bioremediation. Environmental microbiology.
- Molecular environmental chemistry of Mn oxide biomineralization
- Bacterial Manganese(II) Oxidation
- Biotransformations of Chromium and Uranium
- Microbial Weathering of Ocean Basalts